Carrick Rovers A.F.C.

'In the Community, For the Community'

Our Sponsors

  • image
  • image
  • image

Coming Up

No events

This Week's Aletto

Valley Lodge,  25th March

Letters: A S I L

Winner: Alison Deery Ward, 18 ONeill St, Carrickmacross 

Jackpot: Euro 2,300

Next week: Deery's

Jackpot: Euro 1,000


Rovers flattered by the scoreline

Carrick Rovers 8-0 Killylough

Rovers took the unusual step of having to play their home fixture against Killylough in Gortakeegan due to the Irish winter. Rovers started very slowly with Killylough having the lions share of possession early on. Gradually Rovers started getting more possession and with this started taking more control of the game. Rovers took the lead on 16 minutes with a fine team goal. Fionn won possession in his own half and started the move. The ball went through Ryan, Aidan, Lorcan and Jerome who slipped a beautiful ball into the path of Fionn who had continued his run up the pitch. He side footed past the Killylough keeper.

This didn't deter a determined Killylough who rolled up their sleeves and for the next 20 minutes pushed Rovers hard. On 35 minutes Rovers doubled their advantage, again the centre midfield partnership of Aidan and Sean won possession, they fed the ball forward where Jack laid it back to Lorcan who found Sean some 25 yards out. Sean stepped inside two defenders and fired low and hard past the keeper. Rovers went in at half time 2 goals up but still had a lot to do.

Rovers started the second half much brighter. The subs bench was emptied and a few positional switches were made. This seemed to give Rovers a bit more impetus and they started to move the ball about a bit better. The 3rd goal arrived on 57 minutes. The ball was won in defence by Liam Og who quickly switched play out to Eoghan. The ball was moved through midfield to Lorcan who threaded a neat pass into the feet Seanie who finished calmly too end a good passing move. Within 2 minutes Seanies became provider setting up Jerome who blasted to the net to make it 4. Rovers were now passing the ball about, but to the credit of Killylough they continued to battle hard for every ball. On 62 minutes Rovers got number 5. Again Rovers passed the ball about with Aaron and Daniel linking up well on the left. The ball was fed into Lorcan playing in the hole. He neatly set up Tommy who calmly stroked the ball home. This seemed to knock the stuffing out of Killylough and Rovers got number 6 when Tommy turned provider to release Jerome who slid the ball home. With Rovers now enjoying the majority of possession, they added number 7 when Tommy released Daniel who rounded the keeper and got the goal his all-round display deserved. With the game ticking down Rovers scored number 8 when Cathal received a ball from Tadgh and weaved his way past two Killylough defenders and finished from an acute angle. Thomas in goal had a relatively quiet evenings work, but dealt comfortably with everything that came his way. The score line flattered Rovers who for close to 60 minutes had to fight hard for everything they got and were happy to take all the breaks they got.

Team: T Duane, R Nelson, F O'Callaghan, T Byrne, A Kearney, J Abekyamwale, S Burns, L Murnaghan, D Leegan, A Woods, J Gillick, L Og Murray, C McEneaney, E Duffy & T O'Callaghan.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Site Update by KMA Solutions