Rovers 17's get off to a flyer

Carrick Rovers 7-3 Torro
NECSL 17 Premier
Carrick Rovers 17's entertained Meath side Torro on Saturday morning on the Convent Lands. It was a beautiful morning and the condition of the pitch encouraged good football. Rovers got out of the blocks from the start and the Midfield partnership of Padraig Marron and Robert Berg build a solid platform for the frontline of Stephen Lynagh, Patrick Larney, Aaron Jones and Andrew Butler to get at Torro straight away. After 3 minutes leftback Cian Matthews won possession and found Marron in the middle of the field, he got his head up and picked out the run of Larney with a terrific ball in behind the Torro defence. Larney had only the keeper to beat and he coolly lofted the ball over him and into the back of the net.
Rovers didn't rest on their lead and from the restart Berg broke up a Torro move and found Butler on the right, he slipped past his marker and his cross found Lynagh at the back post but his effort was off target. Again Rovers pressed and this time Matthews threaded a ball down the line to Lynagh who found Jones on the edge of the area. Jones cross was perfect for Larney but the defender got there 1st to force the ball home. After 11 minutes Carrick increased their lead when rightback Ryan Carolan drove forward towards the Torro area and his pinpoint cross was heading for the unmarked Lynagh at the back post but again a defender nipped in to get the final touch to give the home side a 3-0 lead. Rovers brought on Kevin Quinn for Lynagh and he slotted in on the right and he nearly added to Rovers lead after 26 minutes with a rasping half volley. Carrick's centre half pairing of Thomas Finnegan and Ian Martin were having a tremendous game, breaking up attacks, heading balls clear off danger and starting attacking moves from the back with some good passing. Mark Kieran's, in the Carrick goals was having a solid game, organising his defence at set pieces and smothering any danger when called on. Rovers introduced David Wilson and Stephen Cunningham for Marron and Larney and they got straight into the action. On 37 minutes Wilson gained  possession and he picked out Quinn, who advanced down the right wing. With his route blocked he found Carolan who was backing him up. The adventurous right back took a touch before unleashing a thunderous cross come shot that flew into the far bottom corner of the net, giving the Keeper no chance. Rovers were playing some brilliant flowing football with some clever movement and passing. On 42 minutes they got their 5th and best goal. The move started at leftback, was passed into midfield to Wilson, he picked out Berg who fed  the busy Jones on the right. Jones breezed past his defender to the byline and his accurate cross found Cunningham who thumped his header to the corner of the net.
Halftime Carrick Rovers 5-0 Torro.
Torro to their credit didn't give up and started the 2nd half strongly. Kieran's was called into action a couple of times and Matthews cleared of the line from a corner. Rovers introduced Ronan O'Callaghan and replaced Kieran's in goals with new man Aaron McMahon. Rovers went looking to increase their lead and this left them open to the counterattack. After 56 minutes Torro pulled one back after a through ball caught the Rovers defence wondering who should deal with it. Again Carrick came forward asking questions of the visitors and Cunningham nearly added  to his tally when he blasted just over after good work on the edge of the Torro area. Rovers broke and Wilson put O'Callaghan away down the left, he linked up with Larney and went for the return but his cross was charged down for a corner. From the delivery Torro broke and after some neat passing the striker coolly went round McMahon as he advanced, to slot to the empty net. This seemed to wake Rovers up again and they pushed forward. The right hand side of Martin, Carolan and Butler linked well to get the ball to the edge of the Torro area, where Butler and Larney played a 1-2 but Butlers effort was cleared. Again Rovers came forward and after Marron won the ball he found Cunningham who slipped in Wilson , who had strode forward from midfield. Wilson cleverly drew the keeper out and as he went to go round him the keeper brought him down. Larney stood over the ball and there was never a doubt that he would rattle the back of the net. Again credit to Torro  who kept battling and they got the goal of the game as the ball broke 30 yards from the Carrick goals the Torro player unleashed a thunderous drive that gave the reintroduced Kieran's no chance as it flashed passed him. Carrick weren't finished yet either as straight away they got on the attack with Larney finding Wilson who put Jones clear on the left with only 1 defender to beat. He skipped passed him and before the keeper could set himself he fizzed a shot at goal which beat the keeper at his near post.
Final Score Carrick Rovers 7-3 Torro.
Team Mark Kieran's, Ryan Carolan, Ian Martin, Thomas Finnegan, Cian Matthews, Andrew Butler, Robert Berg, Padraig Marron, Stephen Lynagh, Patrick Larney, Aaron Jones, Kevin Quinn, David Wilson, Stephen Cunningham, Ronan O'Callaghan and Aaron McMahon.
A good result which was a reward for the attitude that these lads showed from the start.