Carrick Rovers A.F.C.

'In the Community, For the Community'

Our Sponsors

  • image
  • image
  • image

Coming Up

No events

This Week's Aletto

Valley Lodge,  25th March

Letters: A S I L

Winner: Alison Deery Ward, 18 ONeill St, Carrickmacross 

Jackpot: Euro 2,300

Next week: Deery's

Jackpot: Euro 1,000


Carrick Under 16’s Second Half Performance Came Too Late

Johnstown 2-0 Carrick Rovers
NECSL 16 Premier

Carrick Rovers 16’s met Johnstown on Saturday 13th October. Johnstown are top of the table and Carrick needed to improve on past performances to compete with a skilful Johnstown team.

Johnstown opened strongly with some robust dealings in front of the Carrick goals, Conor Duffy took off an acrobatic save to prevent them getting an early lead, Johnstown were at full throttle and gave the Carrick defenders some testing drives towards Carrick’s goals. Andrew Culleton had a busy time marshalling his area. Peter Boylan made some brave aerial duels with the Johnstown forwards and saved us on many occasions.

Carrick settled down and began to make some good forays into the Johnstown half. Kevin Lambe playing at left mid made a great run up the wing evading three players and sent in a perfect cross to Aaron Sharkey, he was closed down but got a good shot on Johnstown’s goals.

Johnstown were dangerous on the counter attack and kept Conor Duffy busy in goals. Peter Boylan was playing some nice passes to Richie Sheridan who sent some lovely through balls to Mark Grimes. Mark Grimes was battling hard against a very strong Johnstown defence and gave them a lot of trouble.

Kevin Lambe was working hard on his wing and got a measured pass to Jack Kieran who sent a rocket just wide. Carrick were slowing getting up to speed in the last quarter of the first half. Sean Russell fought hard in midfield and set up Cormac Boylan in front of the Johnstown goals, his powerful shot just went wide.

Carrick got a corner on the 34th minute and Jack Kieran sent in a high ball to meet the head of Mark Grimes who did well to beat the Johnstown defenders, the ball looked sure to be a goal but the Johnstown goalie somehow kept it out of the net.

Cormac Boylan had a shot from a corner saved as well; luck was not on our side today.

First half ended 0-0 with both sides having great goal scoring opportunities saved.

Richie Sheridan got Carrick off to a good start in the second half with a clever long pass to Jack Kieran who shot under pressure just to go wide.

A lapse in concentration and a poor clearance error gave Johnstown their first goal, it was a killer of a goal as this was not the usual standard of defending from Rovers. Carrick got back with a good attacking move with Michael Monaghan passing out to Matthew Connolly who sent a through ball to Sean Russell who found Mark Grimes in space and Mark sent a shot on goals only to have it saved.

Johnstown were attacking using the width of the pitch and on the 16th minute got a second goal against the run of play. Cormac Boylan ran through the Johnstown defence and had a shot heading for the top of the Johnstown goals parried down by a stretched goalie. Liam McGeough had a good shot on goals saved shortly after this, Carrick were attacking well but just couldn’t get a score. Caolain Cassidy came on a right forward and got involved in some clever attacks on goal. Stephen Finnegan was introduced in midfield and his fresh legs helped Carrick get some passing moves in play. This was not going to be Carrick’s day and the lads battled hard but the goals would not come. Overall a better second half performance that just came too late.  

Team: Conor Duffy, Peter Boylan, Michael Monaghan, Matthew Connolly, Andrew Culleton, Kevin Lambe, Richie Sheridan, Sean Russell, Cormac Boylan, Mark Grimes, Aaron Sharkey.

Subs: Caolain Cassidy, Stephen Finnegan, Ben Kelly, Jack Kieran, Liam Mc Geough, Conor McKenna.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Site Update by KMA Solutions