Carrick Rovers A.F.C.

'In the Community, For the Community'

Our Sponsors

  • image
  • image
  • image

Coming Up

No events

This Week's Aletto

Valley Lodge,  25th March

Letters: A S I L

Winner: Alison Deery Ward, 18 ONeill St, Carrickmacross 

Jackpot: Euro 2,300

Next week: Deery's

Jackpot: Euro 1,000


Slow start to New Year for Championship 14's

Carrick Rovers Lions 0-1  Killylough
CMUL 14 Championship


Rovers welcomed Killylough to the convent lands for their first game of the New Year on a mild winter’s day. A shower of rain had fallen earlier and the pitch was in good condition for a quick passing game. Rovers endured the worst possible start when Killylough broke in the first 5 minutes with a long ball over the top. Donnach Swinburne deputising in goals for the day did his best to rush out and clear but the Killylough player showed good pace and composure to slot the ball into the net.


Rovers regrouped and didn’t let their spirits drop and went on to enjoy the majority of the play in the first half and were unlucky not to equalise on a number of occasions. The best effort coming when Dylan McCahey cut in from left midfield and tested the keeper with a shot across goal. The keep did well to get a touch as the ball squirmed beneath him and skipped agonisingly wide of the post. Rovers were solid in defence, learning from their early lapse. A new defensive partnership at centre back with Cormac O’Hanlon playing alongside Aaron Kearney proved difficult for the Killylough players to break down. Dylan McEneaney, also a new addition to the Rovers back four, slotted seamlessly into the team at right back and together with Conor O’Rourke at left back broke down attacks on respective wings allowing Rovers to build successive attacks.

Jamie King worked tirelessly in midfield, providing good defensive cover and strong tackling and pushed his team forward. Jarod Wenham reinforced the midfield, taking up good positions and spreading the ball into wide positions. Euan Matthews showed some good touches and passing at right midfield, feeding the forward players. Dylan Ward displayed some good touches inside the box and tested the keeper from a narrow angle as he cut in from the left, but the Killylough keeper stood up well and refused to be beaten at his near post.

The first half seem to go by quickly as the Rovers readied themselves for the second half, conscious not to concede an early goal. Killylough started sharply and found some good positions but didn’t really threaten the Rovers goal as the defence stood strong. Rovers brought on some fresh legs early in the second half, Tiernan McCourt coming in at left back, Tiernan O’Riorden coming on at centre back – moving Aaron Kearney to centre midfield and Dillan Carolon entering the frame at right midfield. Rovers continued to press, Dylan McCahey caught the eye of the spectators as he dribbled down the left wing with speed and composure, consistently finding the byline and delivering several good crosses into the box but Rovers weren’t able to capitalise.

Killylough did create some chances of their own in the second half, a dangerous cross from their left midfield flashing across the face of the goals needing only a touch to find the net. Killylough had another opportunity when the referee deemed the keeper picked up a deliberate pass back, the Rovers player feeling slightly aggrieved with the decision and conceding an indirect freekick 12 yards from goal. Rovers packed the line and charged down the freekick, Donnach Swinburne showed good hands to save and gather the shot.

Rovers dominated the rest of the game, but spurned a host of opportunities to equalise when sometimes it looked easier to score. Adam Lynagh replaced Jamie King in midfield and tried to freshen up the Rovers approach in the final third. Jack Gillick found himself in a good position wide left of the goals and after beating the defender was unable to steer the ball toward goals, finding only the side netting. Minutes later Jack found himself in a similar position, this time using the outside of his right boot to shoot high across the goal. The Killylough keeper stood up well to beat it away and Rovers couldn’t convert the rebound.

As the game entered the final 10minutes of normal time Dylan Ward was making himself busy drifting out to the right wing and did well to beat his man and get the wrong side of the defence but as he made his way toward the danger area he appeared to be tackled aggressively and unfairly but the referee somehow deemed it not a foul. Rovers gave everything they had in the final minutes, it felt as if they could just get one they would score another, but they just couldn’t get over the line. Killylough did well to defend their early lead as the game finished 1 nil to the away side.

Final Score: Carrick Rovers 0-1 Killylough

Team: Donnach Swinburne, Conor O’Rourke, Aaron Kearney, Cormac O’Hanlon, Dylan McEnaeney, Dylan McCahey, Jarod Wenham, Jamie King, Euan Matthews, Jack Gillick, Dylan Ward, Tiernan McCourt, Tiernan O’Riordan, Dylan Carolan, Adam Lynagh

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Site Update by KMA Solutions