Carrick Rovers A.F.C.

'In the Community, For the Community'

Our Sponsors

  • image
  • image
  • image

Coming Up

No events

This Week's Aletto

Valley Lodge,  25th March

Letters: A S I L

Winner: Alison Deery Ward, 18 ONeill St, Carrickmacross 

Jackpot: Euro 2,300

Next week: Deery's

Jackpot: Euro 1,000


MDL Premier Reserve V Duleek

Duleek 4-1 Carrick Rovers

Carrick Rovers reserves suffered their first defeat of the new season when on the wrong side of a 4-1 score line. Having started their campaign with two draws, they were in search of their first win. Rovers started the game very brightly with some good attacking moves on both wings, Keith O’Rourke and Paul Byrne being heavily involved in these attacks. With just over 20 minutes gone the signs were good for the first goal of the game to go in favour of Rovers. However this was not to be the case, the first indication was to come when Clint Marron failed to secure the ball in his hands at the feet of the Duleek forward, the ball was eventually cleared from danger. Duleek were now growing in confidence. Within a few minutes Duleek earned a throw in on their right wing which was quickly taken. The resulting cross into the Rovers penalty area was not dealt with by the centre halves and the end result was 1-0 to Duleek. This should have spurred Carrick on, however 2 minutes later Duleek were on the attack again and a rash tackle by Pauric Shannon on the edge of the box left the referee with no option but to blow his whistle, no complaints. This wasn’t to be as to the amazement of the Carrick players the referee pointed to the spot, 2-0. The game was quickly getting away from Rovers, and swift action was required – unfortunately it didn’t come and a third goal was conceded when a defensive call to head clear by Richard Kerwick was not heeded by his fellow defenders, in the mix up Duleek scored. 3-0 at halftime.

Assistant manager Rory Gartlan, who was in charge for the day, had a few harsh words to say along with some encouragement in his half time team talk. Rovers weren’t as bad as the score line read, they had in fact played some good attacking football with plenty of possession in the final third. Jason O’Rourke replaced Paul Byrne at half time due to injury. As the second half got under way Rovers pressed and were creating the bulk of the chances and were first to every ball. It took twenty minutes of the second half before they got their reward, some good work on the left wing created a chance for Simon Marron to cross, he found Warren Kerley at the far post, who duly redirected the ball back across the goal and into the opposite corner, 3-1, another headed goal for Kerley this season! Rovers continued to press, with midfielders Barry Martin and Demo Connolly successfully spreading the ball out to the wings for a number of attacks. Ger Connolly came on for Craig Fannin as the formation changed to 3-4-3, Ger joined the midfield and Demo moved up front. Unfortunately in the 80th minute a ball over the top of the now 3 man Rovers defence created a final scoring opportunity for Duleek which they duly took, 4-1 and game over.

Next week is another away fixture against Navan Cosmos, a win is a must as 2 points from a possible 9 is poor takings for last year’s league runners up.

Team: C Marron, R Kerwick, P Shannon, C McCahey, C Fannin, K O’Rourke, B Martin, D Connolly, P Byrne, S Marron, W Kerley.

Subs: J O’Rourke for P Byrne, G Connolly for C Fannin. Not used: M McGlynn

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Site Update by KMA Solutions