Carrick Rovers A.F.C.

'In the Community, For the Community'

Our Sponsors

  • image
  • image
  • image

Coming Up

No events

This Week's Aletto

Valley Lodge,  25th March

Letters: A S I L

Winner: Alison Deery Ward, 18 ONeill St, Carrickmacross 

Jackpot: Euro 2,300

Next week: Deery's

Jackpot: Euro 1,000



Park Celtic 3-1 Carrick Rovers

This was the last game of the season and turned out to be a game of missed chances for Carrick. Park Celtic went ahead from their first real attack after 3 minutes. The Carrick defence was pressed back to the 6 yard line and the ball passed back to an unmarked Park Celtic midfielder who hit the top corner of the net from 18 yards.

Carrick hit back with several breaks through the centre but Park Celtic's defence managed to close them down and clear the danger. Tiernan Marron was called on to make a great save at the feet of a Park Celtic forward who who skipped through the centre of the Carrick defence. After 15 minutes Sewell sent a free kick towards the Park Celtic box. It dropped short and was controlled by Winters who dodged a tackle before laying on a great pass through the defence to Keyes who raced in and from 15 yards fired a shot low across the keeper and in off the far post for a deserved equaliser. Unfortunately Park Celtic won back their lead a few minutes later with a 40 yard free kick which turned in the air and went in over the keeper. Carrick attacked again. Murray raced down the right and crossed but it was intercepted and cleared. Keyes broke through the defence on the left and crossed high over the defenders and keeper but it was just too high for O'Rourke who faced an open goal. From another attack the ball fell to Murray who volleyed over from 12 yards.
The second half was almost all Carrick. Murray and O'Rourke missed chances from close in and Winters missed a header. Keyes beat the defence but was closed down and shot over from 20 yards. Murray shot over from 15 yards. Carrick broke through the Park Celtic defence on numerous occasions but final passes were played too close to defenders or down the wrong wing. Half way through, Park Celtic scored a third goal when an uncleared corner found 2 unmarked Park Celtic players near the penalty spot and one toe poked the ball into the net. Carrick didn't give up and always looked dangerous going forward. Winters and Keyes showed great fighting spirit in midfield throughout the game. Corrigan showed some nice touches and passes to get the team attacking in the second half. In the end Carrick had played well and lost 3-1 but it was hard to believe so many good chances were missed in the one game.
Team from: Tiernan Marron, Donal Farrell, Brendan Duff, Stephen Crosbie, Alan Kent, Cian Murray, Kevin Sewell, Fergal Winters, Colm Keyes, Johnny Rock, Paddy O'Rourke, Donnacha Kindlon, Joe Corrigan, Adam Martin

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Site Update by KMA Solutions